The Kansas Angler
Region 1 - 2
- 3 - 4
Arknsas Fishing Reports
Colorado Fishing Reports
Iowa Fishing Report
Missouri Fishing Reports
Nebraska Fishing Reports
Oklahoma Fishing Reports
Texas Fishing Reports
Fishing and Tackle Tips
Tackle Manufacturer Tips
Lure Making Tips
Kansas Club Corner
Kansas Fishing Clubs
Kansans on the Trail
Fishing Stories, Fishing
The Latest Angler News
Kansas Angler Archives
Other Links of Interest
Kansas State Info
State Record Fish
Ks Hunting Reports
- 2 - 3
- 4 - 5
From Kansas Hunters
Kansas Angler Info
About The Angler
Contact The Angler
No reproduction of any kind.
Lure Making Tips
See how to make your own soft plastic
Working with lead requires some
From Do-It Manufacturing
Producers of Sinker and Lure Molds
Lead poisoning is an accumulative effect caused by taking
more lead into the body than it can expel. Each of us has some
amount of lead in our body. A physician can obtain the current
reading of your personal lead blood count if you are interested.
While there is disagreement within the scientific community about
what level of exposure to lead is cause for concern, there is
no disagreement that overexposure is harmful. Instructions are
furnished with lead hobby products to inform you of steps that
you can take to reduce your exposure to lead.
1. Melt lead in a well ventilated area and exhaust
fumes to the outside. Air movement that is sufficient to carry
away the wisp of smoke from an extinguished match is generally
considered sufficient ventilation. Lead melts at 621 degrees
(F). When lead is molten, it releases minute amounts of vapors
at a progressive rate as temperatures are increased. Harmful
levels of lead vaporization are believed to occur at elevated
temperatures above 1800 degrees (F). Only lower temperatures
between 700-800 degrees are normally needed to cast lead hobby
parts. Most melting equipment sold to hobbyists will not raise
temperatures much above 900 degrees. Minimize vaporization by
operating melters at the lowest temperature that gives good results.
2. Before eating or smoking, always wash your hands
after handling raw lead so that lead dust is not transferred
from your hands to food or tobacco products that could be ingested.
3. Small children are the most lead sensitive segment
of the population. They are also inclined to put small objects
in their mouths. Keep small children away from your work area.
4. Keep you work area clean.
Warning: Melting lead and casting lead objects
will expose you and others in the area to lead, which is known
to cause birth defects, other reproductive harm, and cancer.
Reducing Exposure: Lead contamination in air, in
dust, and on your skin is invisible. Keep children and pregnant
women away during use and until cleanup is complete.
Risk can be reduced -- but not eliminated -- with
strong ventilation; washing hands immediately after use of these
products before eating or smoking, and careful cleaning of surfaces
and floors with disposable wipes, after lead dust has had a chance
to settle. Use a lead-specific cleaner with EDTA, or a high-phosphate
detergent (like most detergents sold for electric dishwashers),
and bag wipes for disposal.
Moisture and melted lead are
a deadly combination
By Jim Zeiner
While the precautions above are very important,
the danger is an unseen one and one that takes longer to cause
illness. That's why care must be taken. One danger that is very
real and very dangerous is moisture and lead. Always inspect
your lead before you put more in a melting pot. If it has any
moisture at all, don't use it until you get it completely dry.
Your melted lead is over 700 degrees as reported
above. Put on your thinking cap from grade school. What temperature
does water boil at? The answer in case you forgot is 212 degrees.
Can you imagine what happens when you put wet lead in a pot of
melted lead? The results are not pretty.
It's never happened to me because I always store
and melt lead inside, but I know someone that received serious
burns while melting lead outside. The lead had been stored outside
and had moisture on it. When a piece of lead was added to the
pot of melted lead, it literally exploded with lead being projected
of the pot. The person was lucky the in that the injuries were
not worse that they were. The scars will remain a lifetime, but
at least it didn't involve an eye or a facial burn.
Enough said. Always be careful when melting lead.
If you are careful and use common sense, you will be safe. Gloves
and goggles go a long way to increasing your safety. Care and
clear thinking go even farther.
Fishing & Tackle Tips | Manufacturer
Tips | Angler's Academy